Sunday, October 7, 2012

Everything is a Tool and Anything Can Be a Tool


This week two of our training courses were on creative thinking and evangelism. We started out with some exercises to get us thinking outside the box. At first we had one random object that made its way around the circle and each of us had to use the object in a different way, pantomiming and making the object take on alternative functions. Each of us were then given a random item such as a paperclip or a helmet and we had to tell the gospel using that object. Some things seemed easier to work with and others you really had to stretch, but we quickly learned that you don’t have to use the object to tell the whole story. Just use it to get you started or help you make a point. The last round we did was with one object that got passed around the circle and when it was your turn, you couldn’t use the same method as anyone else in the room. It was so cool to see how one object could be used in so many different ways.

Learning to share the gospel using the most unexpected of things was something so practical and helpful because now I can enhance my abilities to share with people and even feel more confident when I do. I know I am a visual person, so having something physical helps me collect my thoughts and it may prove helpful in reaching someone with a similar mindset. I also greatly enjoy that kind of thinking. It makes me remember all the times my sister, Ate Kelsey and I used to act out infomercials for household objects.

Everything is a tool and anything can be a tool if you are willing to think outside the box and see beyond the surface. A watch tells time so you can talk about the creator of time or how our time is running out. We wear watches as accessories and our looks can sometimes become our priority. A watch can help tell a story about bondage because of the way they look like shackles. It is a circle that unites us with God, but when undone there is a separation between us and Him… The possibilities are endless!

Taste of Ireland: If you need someone to take you from point A to point B, you ask them to “give you a lift”… Getting a ride has a negative sexual connotation, so don’t say that. And if you need to ask what time they are getting you, you would say “what time will you be collecting me?” 

P.S. Sorry if the quality of this post is not my best. I did not really proof read it and I chose to sleep vs. take more time to write it. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment