Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Week Already!


As of today (it's still Saturday in my mind), I have been in Ireland for one week and what a week it has been. It has been a time of transition, both challenging and exciting, full of new faces, new responsibilities, and even new words!

Day one was an introduction to some of the members of the OM Ireland team and the nearest town, Roscommon. On Sunday I attended church with Junior and his family, perceiving a completely different atmosphere than the churches from home. Ireland’s largest evangelical churches, located in Dublin, may have a couple hundred people, but “large” for the rest of the country may be a congregation of 30. Most churches however have even fewer members. It was eye-opening to realize how small the Christian population is in Ireland, yet also inspiring and encouraging to see people come together and worship the LORD. 

Throughout the rest of the week I got to know my housemates a little bit, one of whom is from the Netherlands and the other is Irish. Since I have never really lived away from home, it is a new experience to share the responsibilities of a house with others and manage my own finances. I have not been completely thrown into adulthood though; I still don’t pay any bills. ;) Sometime in this past week I did feel a bit discouraged about my age. I felt like I was too young to be here, but then I remembered 1 Timothy 4:12 that says to “not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in faith, in life, in love, and in purity.” God also reminded me that he uses all kinds of people for his work. He can surely use me. 

I think that is what I am most excited to see while I am here: how God uses people for his glory. Already I have seen that no matter what our skills or talents, there is a use for them in his ministry. I can’t wait to learn more about Him and to see what He does in my time here.


Taste of Ireland: The people of Ireland are generally very friendly and are known to spontaneously drop by for an unannounced visit and a cup of tea.  

My first event with the Creative Arts Team!

No comments:

Post a Comment